In January we posted a couple of photos of Frida the cat playing with a handmade Artterro cat toy. We don't have an actual cat toy kit at the moment (let us know if you'd be interested in something like that!), but you can use leftover materials from our kits (like the Creativity Kit or Wool Felt Bug Kit), plus items from around the house, to make your very own eco cat toys!
Materials you'll need:
- Cut your ribbon and/or fabric scraps into roughly two-and-a-half inch pieces, and tie a knot in the center of each piece.
- Make a knot at the end of a piece of string, at least ten inches long.
- Sew through your felt shape once, and then begin sewing the ribbon to the felt piece, poking right through the center of the knot.
- Sew the knot to the felt piece several times, until it feels secure, then sew through the center of the felt piece, and begin the process again with another ribbon.
- Add several pieces of ribbon, until you're happy with your toy. At this point you can also sew a long string through the felt piece, so you can dangle the toy by hand or by tying it to a stick of some kind.
- Make sure the strings are securely attached to the felt.
- Make sure the strings are not long enough to wrap around the cat's neck.
- Don't attach any beads or sequins, or any small parts the cat could choke on.
- Be creative! Just because it's for your cat doesn't mean you can't have fun with it.
Time to play!
- Family Craft Projects
- Eco Gift Ideas
- Art Education
- Mindful Living
- Artist Profiles
- Behind the Scenes